Sunday, March 2, 2008

Letter's Home

Soldier Lewis Anderson--France
September 29, 1918
14:01
Dear Mom and Dad,
Oh, Mom and Dad, this will probably be the last time you'll ever hear from me, your beloved son, Lewis. You see, I was shot in the chest and leg two days ago, right after the fighting began. There were many others that were shot and killed instantly; I'm lucky that I was able to go to the hospital, even though the doctor says that I may not live much longer. I have a lot of blood loss and there is an infection spreading over me.
Please tell everyone that I love them. Tell Johnny he can have my card set and tell Abby that she can have my teddy bear. I probably won't live another week, but if I do, I'll write you again.
Love,
Lewis
P.S., If I do pass, I love you all very much and will miss you forever.

Nurse Annette Davis--Germany
November 11, 1918
11:00
My Dearest Bill,
I cannot stand it anymore; the things that I am seeing are terrible. The men that I see are all mangled; they have limbs dangling and blown off legs and arms. It's a terrible sight, terrible sight. It's bad. I don't know if I can go another day seeing this. The men are dying in droves and many more fall sick every day.
Oh, how I miss you! You are so lucky that you weren't sent over here and have to see all that I do everyday. It's unbearable. On the bright side, I only have one week left of duty, and then I can come home. Then, we'll finally be able to get married.
Love,
Annette

Soldier Bill Carlson--Germany
September 18, 1918
19:00
...These trenches are terrible! All I ever see are dead bodies and rats...what a sight. Men are getting sick and dying everyday. Three of my friends have already passed and two more are sick. It will be terrible if they go too. I've been very lucky. The only thing that I've had is lice, but that's not uncommon around here. Everyone has it; even if we get our clothes cleaned, we're free of them for a while, but then they're back.
I wish I could go home! I miss my mom and dad, even my brothers and sisters. I miss my friends, home, everything and everyone. Well, only one month left. Let's hope I make it through...